It’s that time of year again when the deer are moving and collisions increase.
What to do to minimize your risk of being involved in a deer collision:
- Slow down
- Keep lights on bright (except when other vehicles are passing or in a high fog)
- Be alert
- Don’t swerve to miss the deer. Swerving to avoid a deer often results in losing control of the vehicle or running off the road.
What should you do if you hit a deer:
- Document the accident
- Take photos (when safe/possible)
- Check for leaking fluids
- Check vehicle gauges to make sure it’s not running hot
- 5Notify Police if there are injuries or vehicle damage
- If the vehicle is not drivable, contact a towing company and have it towed. Write down the location the vehicle is being towed to.
- Report your claim to your insurance company and provide towing company information.